To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from the local authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
A fee, determined by the Chiltern District Council, will be payable on application.
|Application for a New Pet Shop Licence||£477.00|
|Application for a Renewal of a Pet Shop Licence||£278.00|
Application Evaluation Process
Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.
Failed Application Redress
Please contact the Licensing Team in the first instance.