We can only take legal action to stop or prevent noise where it is of a type and level that is considered to be a 'statutory nuisance'.

To be considered a statutory nuisance the noise problem has to have occurred more than once, directly affects you in your property and is typically prolonged when it happens. Before taking any action you should consider:

  • is the noise 'reasonable'
  • the time of day it occurs
  • how long it lasts
  • is it a regular or frequent occurrence

If you feel comfortable to do so, it is often better to try and resolve the problem informally by speaking to the people causing you the problems. You can also contact Mediation who offer a free independant service.

If you wish for us to investigate complaints of noise please Report it online

This is a legal process and will require good evidence of the noise you have been experiencing. You may also be required to attend court. You can also take you own legal action.

We cannot investigate complaints of noise from people in the street, day-to-day living noise, children playing, noisy vehicles or aircraft. If you are suffering from noise disturbance outside of office hours you can contact Thames Valley Police on their non-emergency number - 101, and depending on officer availability, they maybe able to offer assistance. Always dial 999 if it is an emergency.

Icon for pdf Nuisance Information Pack [234.29KB]

Icon for pdf Nuisance Log Sheet [86.14KB]