How to prepare for flooding
- Turn off gas, electricity and water supplies
- Unplug all electrical items and store upstairs
- Put plugs in sinks and weigh down
- Put a sandbag in toilets to prevent backflow
- Move pets and valuables to safety
- Move furniture and electrical items upstairs
- Leave downstairs internal doors open
- Place important documents in a safe place or take them with you if evacuated
- Place sandbags over manhole covers
- Move vehicles to safety
Please be a good neighbour. If you are concerned about any elderly or frail residents, please inform emergency services, or contact the adult social care emergency on 01494 675802.
Manhole covers are liable to lift during flooding and may present unseen danger. If leaving your home, ask for help from emergency teams who are on the scene.
Do not allow children to play in flood water - there are hidden dangers and they will be exposed to the risk of infection.
If you are in need of any help, call the emergency services on 999. They will be ready to take your call.