Council Tax - Single Person Discount Review

Why have I been sent this letter?

South Bucks District Council is currently reviewing the circumstances of people who are claiming the single person discount. We are simply verifying that you are eligible to claim a single person discount.

We are writing to customers so that we can make sure that the information we hold is correct, to confirm that the data identified is reliable and that discounts are only awarded where people are entitled.

Every year, local authorities nationwide receive a high volume of applications for single person discount. Sadly, some of these applications are not genuine. To ensure everyone is paying the correct level of Council Tax, and not subsidising anyone who could be falsely claiming, we are carrying out a review to remove ineligible or incorrect claims. 

How do I complete the form?

Please complete the paper form you have received and return it in the pre-paid envelope provided. It would be helpful if you could include contact details, such as a telephone number or an email address, in case we need to get in touch.

If you are the only adult in the property, you only need to complete the first half of the form with a signature and the date. You will also need to print your name and provide contact details.

If there is more than one adult living in the property, then please complete all sections of the form and provide details of the other occupants - their name, and the date they moved in.

What should I do now? 

Complete the form and return it in the pre-paid envelope as soon as possible. If you have any questions regarding the form or require further information, please read the information below to see if it answers your query.

What happens if I do not complete the form?

We will assume that your situation has changed, and will remove your discount from 1st April 2017 or from the date you moved in if this is earlier.

What happens if the form is completed after the deadline stated on the letter? 

Please submit the form as soon as possible. If you do so within a reasonable amount of time you will not be penalised. If the form is very late, you may receive a reminder letter. Please complete the form as explained above.

What should I do if someone in my property is over 18 and has recently left school or is a student at college or university. Am I no longer eligible?

Please include them on the form, give their student status, and on the back of the form provide the following:

  • Their date of birth
  • The name of the school, college or university they attend
  • Provide a Student Certificate if they are studying in the South Bucks area 
  • If their term-time address is away from home, their address while they are studying

I have already informed the Council of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form?

Yes, include all the details of your current situation.

A friend stays with me 3 or 4 nights a week; does that mean I am no longer eligible?

If your friend keeps their belongings at your house then your address will be classed as their main residence therefore you are no longer eligible.

  • who does your friend stay with the other 3 nights a week? if s/he stays at various addresses your address will still be classed as their main address
  • Any other reason, please provide an explanation of your current situation. 

What should I do if my circumstances are not covered in the examples above?

If you are still unsure how to complete the form, or your circumstances are not covered, then please contact the Revenues office at or telephone during office hours on 01895 837500