See what vehicle crime is like in your area by visiting www.ionbucks.info
There are two main types of vehicle crime, theft of motor vehicle and theft from motor vehicle. It is important to be vigilant and take simple precautions to prevent becoming a victim of this type of crime.
- Remove all items from your vehicle when you park. This will include expensive items such as a laptop or satellite navigation system, but also items of lesser value, such as a scarf, sunglasses or even a chocolate bar (a case was reported to the police where someone car's had been broken into and all that was stolen was half a chocolate bar).
- Lock doors and close windows. Leaving either of these open is an invitation to a thief - ensure everything is shut and locked even if you are leaving your car for a short time (such as paying for petrol or taking items to a recycle bin).
- Park in a safe, well-lit place preferably where there is CCTV.
- Keeps your keys safe at home. There have been cases where burglars have used rods and other tools to 'fish' through letterboxes, windows or even cat flaps for vehicle keys that have been left in view. Therefore it is important not to leave your keys where they can be seen, including in the hallway. For your FREE KEYP Safe kit call 01895 837220.
- Help secure the number plates on your vehicle by using tamper-resistant screws. The screws make it much more difficult for thieves to remove your number plates, which could then in turn be used in other crimes.
Always dial 999 in an emergency.
For free advice, or to report a non-emergency crime in Buckinghamshire,
Call 0845 8 505 505