Kitchen and Garden Waste Collections
Since early 2006, approximately 5,400 properties in South Bucks district have received a Kitchen and Garden Waste Collection service. The service was introduced to try a different way of collecting waste that helps residents recycle and compost more waste.
In support of the Waste Strategy for Bucks, the service is brought to residents by a partnership between South Bucks District Council and Buckinghamshire County Council and the set up costs were funded largely by Central Government.
These properties have been provided with wheelie bins, one for refuse and one for kitchen and garden waste, which are collected on alternate weeks. If you are not currently on the kitchen and garden waste collection visit the garden and food waste page for advice on dealing with organic waste.
How does the alternate weekly collection work?
The Garden and Kitchen Waste Collection Service will collect your garden pruning’s, trimmings and food waste on alternate weeks with your refuse, and is designed to help you deal with your rubbish in a more positive way. You still get a weekly collection, it just means thinking about it differently:
- In week 1 – GREY bin collection week - We collect the part of your rubbish that goes to landfill, this should only contain materials that can not be recycled via our kerbside recycling service or at the local recycling centres.
Refuse should be contained inside your bin with the lid closed; we are not able to collect waste that is placed outside or on top of your bin.
- In week 2 – GREEN bin collection week - We collect the part of your rubbish that is going to be composted, see below for what can go in to your green bin. On the same day your paper/card and glass/cans recycling boxes will also be collected, see the recycling collection page for more information.
All bins and boxes are collected from your property boundary, where your front path or drive meets the public road or pavement, or from an alternative collection point as specified by this council. Please place all bins and boxes at the collection point by 7am on the morning of collection and no earlier than 5pm the night before.
What can go into your green bin
Please do not overfill your bins or compact your waste. Overweight bins can not be emptied.
| Please use your green bin for garden and food waste only.
- Leaves, weeds and plants
- grass cuttings, pruning’s and trimmings
- rabbit & guinea pig bedding
- short branches/twigs
| No Thanks
- Large Branches & tree trunks
- Plastic bags or bin liners
- General household refuse
| Kitchen waste: All cooked and uncooked food, including:
- fruit & vegetable peelings
- egg shells, tea bags & coffee grounds
- plate scrapings including meat, fish and dairy products
- paper to wrap food waste in
soiled cardboard that is unsuitable for the paper collection.
If you find you have too much garden waste for your green bin don’t forget you can also compost at home or take excess to the household waste recycling centre.
What can you collect food waste in?
You will have been provided with a kitchen caddy (bucket with a lid) to contain the food waste prior to being deposited into your green bin, if you do not have one please call 01895837333 to order.There are a number of ways that you can collect your food waste:
When will we be extending the trial to the rest of the district?
- You can wrap the food waste in a sheet of newspaper prior to putting it in your green bin
- You can line the kitchen caddy with a sheet of newspaper before use
- You can line the caddy with accredited compostable caddy liners, see caddy liners page for more details
At present the composting facility at High Heavens is at full capacity and unable to take any additional garden or kitchen waste should we collect it. Until the facilities are available to treat this waste we are unable to extend the service, including the provision of wheelie bins, to the rest of the district. We are currently working with Buckinghamshire County Council to identify alternative treatment facilities.
If you would like further help or advice please email email@example.com
or call us on our helpline number 01895 837333.
South Bucks District Council, Capswood, Oxford Road, Denham Bucks. UB9 4LH
Tel: 01895 837333