Help for Disabled People
Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant is available for providing adaptations and facilities to enable a disabled person to remain in their own home.
Eligible works include:
Who can apply?
- a shower in place of a bath;
- a stair lift to enable the disabled person to reach washing and toilet facilities on the first floor;
- an extension to provide necessary ground floor accommodation.
How much is the grant?
- Owner-occupiers, landlords or tenants.
- The applicant may not necessarily be the disabled person for whom the works are required but applying on behalf of the disabled person.
- Adult disabled people and their partners will be means tested to see if they can afford to pay for some of the work themselves. In the case of a disabled child (0-16 years old), the means test does not apply. In the case of a young person (16th-19th birthday), the means test does not apply if the young person is still in ordinary, non-advanced, full-time education.
Are there any other conditions?
- The maximum grant is £30,000.
- The applicant will need to certify that the disabled person intends to live in the property for five years after the grant is paid.
- A limited charge will be placed on owner occupied properties (requiring grant repayment to the Council), if it is sold within ten years. This applies where the cost of the grant exceeds £5,000 and the maximum charge (maximum repayment) will be £10.000.
For further information or for an application form, contact The Grants Section
Fax: 01895 837348