Gerrards Cross stands astride the A40 London to Oxford road and is readily accessible by rail. The M40 and M25 are within easy distance as is Heathrow Airport.
Gerrards Cross church is of Victorian date (1859) and of white brick in the Italianate style with a campanile reminiscent of Venice. The church was built and endowed as a memorial to Major General Reid. It stands by the Common, as do the Bull Hotel and a few Georgian houses, survivors of the original hamlet.
Gerrards Cross has a pleasant shopping centre, with four car parks, catering for most needs.
There are good primary and private schools as well as several churches and chapels and the only cinema in South Bucks District. Gerrards Cross Common forms a pleasant recreation area with well-kept grass and a natural woodland. There are two ponds and a children’s play area with facilities for the 3 to 10 year olds.
The Gerrards Cross Community Association was formed towards the end of World War II to manage and control the Memorial Centre which forms a War Memorial for Gerrards Cross. The Association now comprises over 50 local organisations and 1,100 individual members. The Centre houses many community groups as well as the Parish Council.
Bulstrode Park covers 400 acres on the west side of Gerrards Cross and much of it remains unspoilt. The first house was built as the home of Judge Jeffreys. It passed later to the Duke of Portland and Somerset and, in 1879, was demolished to make way for the present mansion. In a corner of the park is the site of an ancient British encampment, believed to be the largest such site in Buckinghamshire. Romano-British pottery kilns have also been excavated north of the town.
For more information, the Conservation & Design Officer can be contacted on:
Tel: 01895 837374Email: email@example.com