Recycling rewards for Buckinghamshire’s ‘sparkiest’ schools
Schools across Buckinghamshire are participating in a campaign to boost electrical recycling during Recycle Week (21 to 27 June) and prizes are up for grabs to the ‘sparkiest’ school in the region.
The week is being promoted by the Waste Partnership for Buckinghamshire, and will focus on Rewards for Schools. The scheme involves schools raising awareness in their local communities to the fact that small, unwanted electrical items such as hairdryers, toys, kitchen appliances and power tools can be recycled.
Schools will be asking their local communities to make a pledge to recycle unwanted household items in the run up to Recycle Week. By following through the pledges, residents will receive a reward token which can be used to benefit a local school of their choice. Schools collecting the most tokens will receive garden centre vouchers.
Bill Lidgate, Chairman of Buckinghamshire’s Joint Waste Committee said: "The County has ten household waste recycling centres, all of which accept electrical items for recycling. I would like to encourage householders to participate in Recycle Week by taking those unwanted or broken items to the recycling centre as this will help your local school to win some fantastic prizes."
Laura Underwood from Recycle Now, said: "Our simple message this Recycle Week is that if it has a plug or a battery, and you no longer want it, set it free! Old electrical items contain valuable materials and through recycling these get used again, saving natural resources. Why not get prepared this Recycle Week with a spot of digital de-cluttering? Any old or broken electrical items can be taken to your local participating recycling point, and as well as helping preserve resources, you can also support your local school."
To find out more about what people can recycle and your nearest electrical point visit www.recyclenow.com
Schools participating in Recycle Week:
- Alfriston School
- Aylesbury High School
- Beaconsfield High School
- Bedgrove Infant School
- Bierton Combined School
- Butlers Court School
- Carrington Junior School
- Chalfont St Giles Junior School
- Chartridge Combined School
- Chesham Park Community College
- Curzon CofE Combined School
- Dr Challoner's High School
- Little Kingshill Combined School
- Maltman's Green School
- North Marston CoE School
- St Bernard’s Catholic School
- The John Hampden School
- Thorpe House School
- Thornborough Infant School
Although the week concentrates on small electrical items, local recycling centres will accept all electrical items. However restrictions are in place for televisions, computer monitors, fridges and freezers as residents can only take two of each type of item, per year to the site. We are not able to accept electrical items from businesses except fridges (charges apply).
The Waste Partnership for Buckinghamshire are support Recycle Week. The Partnership includes County and four district councils.
ASM manage the county’s HWRCs.
About Recycle Week Rewards for Schools
- For more information on Recycle Week including the Rewards for Schools initiative visit www.recyclenowpartners.com
- WRAP helps individuals, businesses and local authorities to reduce waste and recycle more, making better use of resources and helping to tackle climate change.
- Established as a not-for-profit company in 2000, WRAP is backed by government funding from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Working in seven key areas (Construction, Retail, Manufacturing, Organics, Business Growth, Behavioural Change, and Local Authority Support), WRAP’s work focuses on market development and support to drive forward recycling and materials resource efficiency within these sectors, as well as wider communications and awareness activities including the multi-media national Recycle Now campaign for England.
- More information on all of WRAP's programmes can be found on www.wrap.org.uk
The following British Heart Foundation Furniture & Electrical Stores is supporting this initiative: 49-51 High Street, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP20 1SA.
Tel: 0844 248 9107More information
Communications Officer (Waste Team)
Telephone 01296 387677
For more information please contact
South Bucks District Council,
Denham, Bucks. UB9 4LH
Tel: 01895 837200