Don't Fear Monsters This Halloween
Halloween 'trick or treaters' are being encouraged to behave responsibly to keep themselves and others safe this Halloween.
For some, Halloween is associated with parties and family fun, but for others it’s a night to dread. Elderly and vulnerable people can be left frightened by youngsters calling at their home asking for a 'trick or treat'.
The Community Safety Partnership is working to ensure that everybody is able to feel safe and secure over the Halloween period, as part of this, Carole Bennett, one of the Council’s Community Safety Officers, will visit vulnerable residents to offer them reassurance and advice about what to do.
South Bucks District Councillor Anita Cranmer, Portfolio Holder for Community says, "We don't want to stop youngsters enjoying themselves, but they should bear in mind how vulnerable members of the community feel about having callers knocking on their door late at night. We hope residents will support us to make this Halloween as trouble-free as possible, and ask parents particularly to remind their children to be considerate to others."
The Council has issued the following advice to help put a stop to the antisocial behaviour during Halloween:
• Stay in areas that are well-lit with streetlights.
• Do not knock on doors where there is a 'No Trick or Treat' sign.
• Do not enter any house - always stay on the doorstep.
• Be considerate - do not frighten vulnerable people, especially the elderly.
• Do not throw items like eggs and flour. This is not a trick and can be classed as criminal damage or even assault - a night of fun could end up with you in trouble with the police.
Posters, indicating whether a resident welcomes trick or treaters or not, are available at the council offices in Denham and can be downloaded from the website.
For more information, please contact the Community Safety team on 01895 837253 or visit the Council's website to download your free ‘No Trick or Treat' poster.
For more information please contact
South Bucks District Council,
Denham, Bucks. UB9 4LH
Tel: 01895 837200