Ten Tips Towards Business Energy Efficiency
About Business Energy Efficiency
Whether you own or lease your building, you need energy to power your lighting, heating, and run your systems and other essential services. Below are 10 simple cost-effective tips that can save your business costs, whilst reducing energy use and lowering its environmental impacts.
- Turn off lights when not in use. High energy costs often include paying for energy that's being wasted!
- Replace standard light bulbs with light-emitting diodes (LED)
- Natural daylight is free! Turn off or dim electric lighting where appropriate
- Install occupancy sensors in applicable locations to automatically turn off lighting when no one is present and on when people return
- Keep areas in front of vents clear of any furniture or paper. As much as 25% more energy is required to distribute air if vents are blocked
- Turn off machines when not in use. This can result in massive energy savings. If in doubt turn it out!
- Planting vegetation around the buildings can keep them cool. Trees provide shade and help clean the air
- Inspire behaviour change by creating positive competition or challenges for employees
- Display posters, internal messaging and quick facts sharing energy saving tips
- Appoint an energy ambassador (or two!!) within your company
Contact the Carbon Trust for further information on business energy efficiency.