Scrap Metal and Motor Salvage

Scrap Metal and Motor Salvage licence

About licence

If you a run a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal, whether or not the metal is sold in the form in which it was bought or if you run a business as a motor salvage operator you are considered to be a scrap metal dealer.

You are considered to be a motor salvage operator if your business consists of:

  • (a) wholly or partly in recovering salvageable parts from motor vehicles for re-use or sale and subsequently selling or otherwise disposing of the rest of the vehicle for scrap
  • (b) wholly or mainly in buying written-off vehicles and subsequently repairing and reselling them,
  • (c) wholly or mainly in buying or selling motor vehicles which are to be the subject (whether immediately or on a subsequent re-sale) of any of the activities mentioned in paragraphs (a) and (b), or
  • (d) wholly or mainly in activities falling within paragraphs (b) and (c)

Online licensing forms

What we will check:

  • In order to demonstrate that they are a fit and proper person, most applicants choose to submit a  basic disclosure check  Whichever route you choose to take, please note that your certificate must be less than three calendar months old at the time your application is submitted.
  • Applicants will also need to demonstrate that they hold the necessary Environment Agency waste carrier permit(s) via the application form.
  • Any relevant previous convictions.

If the council is not satisfied that the applicant is a fit and proper person to run a business as a scrap metal dealer we must serve a notice on the applicant or business. The notice must give the details of what they are proposing to do, the reasons for it and the period during which the applicant may appeal. This period must be at least 14 days from the date the notice was served.

A notice will be served detailing the decision of the local Council as to whether to grant an application, renew a registration or cancel a registration.

Notice of changes to registered information must be made to the local Council within 28 days of the change.


  • If you make articles and sell scrap metal only as a by-product of the articles you make or as surplus materials not required for making the articles.
  • If you deal in gold, silver or any alloy of which 2% or more is gold or silver.

What type of licence do I require?

Site Licence

Mobile Collectors Licence


Scrap Metal site - new application (3 year licence)£488.33
Scrap Metal site - renewal (3 year renewal)£396.00
Scrap Metal Collectors - new application (3 year licence)£297.67
Scrap Metal Collectors - renewal (3 year licence)£225.33
Variation of licence type i.e. change from site to collector£161.00
Variation of licence i.e. name, site address, named site managers£60.00
Reprint of licence£32.00
Vehicle window cards£45.40



If your application is refused please contact the Local Council in the first instance.