Street Trading

Licensing Street Trading

About licence

The Council does not operate a licensing scheme for street trading within the area, however, a number of roads have been designated as 'prohibited Streets' for street trading. 

Street Trading Prohibited Streets  Enforcement action will be considered in the event that complaints are received regarding traders operating in a prohibited area or if highway safety is found to be impaired.

Prohibited streets

To trade elsewhere within South Bucks permission is required of the land owner and planning permission may also be required.
The erection of signs or stalls for the sale of produce within the highway, including grass verges, is illegal. However, produce can be sold from the land on which it is grown, but signs advertising such facilities must be clear of the highway and may require Planning Permission. 

Any unlicensed use of the highway for tables and chairs is an obstruction and may be dealt with by the police. Permissions which may have to be obtained before tables and chairs may be placed on a part of the highway include:

Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent from the Council for the use of the land or building for a café or forecourt. (A fee is payable)
Permission from  County Council as the Highway Authority, to put tables and chairs out on or adjacent to a public highway, whether it be on the street or a pavement or a pedestrian area. (A fee is payable)

Burnham Market

Please note that the Council do not deal with Burnham Market and it does not fall under Street Trading. Should you wish to have a stall then you will need to contact Ms Jo Sommer at the Burnham Business Association on 07716 220991