Temporary Event Notices

Temporary Event Notices can be used to allow the sale of alcohol and/or provision of regulated entertainment and/or provision of late night refreshment for small scale one-off events, known as temporary events with no more than 499 people (including staff), where licensable activities are planned to take place for a period of up to a maximum of 168 hours, and where a premises licence is not held or does not cover the period requested by the Temporary Event Notice

Online licensing forms


Who can apply?


Any person, aged 18 or over, whether or not they hold an existing licence who will be the 'premises user'.

When should I apply?

There are two types of temporary event notices: standard and late.

standard temporary event notice must be made no later than 10 working days before an event is due to take place. A late temporary event notice can be given no later than 5 working days before an event is due to take place.

If you are holding a large scale or unusual event we recommend that you contact us at an early stage to discuss your proposals. Early consideration will enable responsible authorities to consider and discuss with organisers their plans and avoid potential objections.

How much does it cost?

A fee of £21 is payable when you serve the Notice.


1.    Personal licence holders may give up to 50 per year (including up to 10 late temporary event notices)

2.    Non personal licence holders may give up to 5 notices per year (including up to two late temporary event notices)

3.    Each event may last no more than 168 hours

4.    No premises may be used more than 15 times per year

5.    No premises may be used for more than 21 days per year in total

There must be a minimum of 24 hours between events at the same premises by the same premises user

Who else needs to know?

If you are submitting your Temporary Event Notice through the Council's online licensing forms, you do not need to inform anyone else as the process is fully automated. However, if you are giving notice to the licensing authority (the local Council for the area) on a paper form, notification of the temporary event must also be given to both the Chief Officer of Police and the Environmental Health department in the area in which the event is due to take place. For South Bucks, it will be:

The Chief Officer of Police
Thames Valley Police
Headquarters (South)

Email: licensing@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk

Environmental Health
South Bucks District Council
Council Offices
King George V Road
Email: envhealth@chilternandsouthbucks.gov.uk