Appealing against your council tax band

You can appeal against your property's valuation band if one of the following applies:

  • Your home has reduced in value because of demolition or adaptation work or because of a change in the area, such as a new major road next to your home
  • The property has been re-valued because of past building (or other) work. The person appealing would normally be the new owner or occupier
  • You are within six months of becoming liable for Council Tax for the property
  • You start using part of your home for business, or the balance between domestic and business use change

You cannot appeal directly to the council about your council tax band. You must appeal to the listing officer, who is a government official, at:

Council Tax East
Valuation Office Agency
Ground Floor
Ferrers House
Castle Meadow Road


Telephone: 03000 501501

Or via Valuation Office Agency [VOA]

If you want information about valuation bands for similar properties, you can visit their website.

Please note that this is a free service and there is no need, unless you want to, to employ a company to appeal