Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are having difficulty paying your rent you may be able to claim extra help. This is called a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). A DHP is a special payment made to individuals who need extra help with their housing costs. Awards are generally to assist for a short period of time.

DHP's are not part of the normal Housing Benefit scheme. They are funded by Central Government on an annual basis and the money available is limited. For this reason, the Council will only grant help to people who have special circumstances which make it difficult for them to pay their rent.

You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are entitled to Housing Benefit of at least £0.50 pence per week at your current address.

We can consider a Discretionary Housing Payment to help cover any shortfall between your rent liability and the amount of Housing Benefit that you are entitled to.

The sort of things we can help with are:-

  • If the rent charged by your landlord is more than is allowed under Local Housing Allowance rules
  • If your benefit has been reduced because your income is above the level of a means tested benefit such as Income Support
  • If your benefit has been reduced because a non-dependant lives in your home and they can't help you with the shortfall
  • If you have been affected by the Benefit Cap or your benefit is reduced because of the spare room subsidy - generally awards will be made as a temporary measure whilst you investigate alternative accommodation or employment.