Community Right to Bid
This right allows certain voluntary and community organisations and parish councils to nominate an asset to be included in a 'list of assets of community value'. The local authority must identify if the asset fits the definition of being of community value, list it if it is, and maintain the list. If listed, the asset remains on the list for 5 years.
Nothing further happens until the owner of the asset wishes to sell it. At that time, unless certain circumstances exist, a moratorium period is triggered during which the asset cannot be sold. This period is intended to allow community groups the time to develop a proposal and raise the required capital to bid for the property when it comes onto the open market at the end of that period.
This right does not confer a right of first refusal or a right to buy to the community interest group, nor does it restrict the owner as to whom he can sell to or at what price.
To comply with our obligations under Part 5 of the Localism Act 2011:
1. We will consider your nominations sent via email to: email@example.com or by post to: Community Right to Bid, Head of Environment, South Bucks District Council, Capswood, Oxford Road, Denham Bucks UB9 4LN, and make a decision within 8 weeks of receipt.
2. Appeals against a decision to list received from the owner within 8 weeks of the decision will be reviewed and the outcome of the review advised within 8 weeks of the appeal.
3. Should the owner still have grounds to question a decision to list, they can make an appeal via the independent First-Tier Tribunal within 28 days of notification of the internal review decision.
4. There is no right of appeal against a decision not to list the asset.
5. Publish a list of assets of community value and a list of unsuccessful community asset nominations - please follow the links below.
List of Assets of Community Value
If you are thinking of nominating an asset for inclusion on the list of assets of community value, please find out more via the following external links to ensure that your organisation is eligible to make a nomination and that you provide all the required information. You may also contact Head of Environment, telephone: 01494 434943 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to discuss further.
The application to nominate an asset as one of community value