Animal Boarding

Licence summary

To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from the local authority. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment Pet Animals Act 1951
  • keeping a pet shop under the Protection of Animals Act 1954
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals Act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006

Application Evaluation Process

Application forms and guidance notes can be found in the downloads section at the bottom of this page

All veterinary fees incurred by the Authority in respect of the licence application will be recoverable at cost - you will be invoiced after an inspection has taken place. In the event of an application being refused, the application fee or any part will not be refunded under any circumstances. In the event that an application is withdrawn, a refund of the application fee or any part will not be refunded under any circumstances.


Licence activity

Application Fee

Grant Fee

Additional costs (i.e. vets fees or additional inspections)

Total Fee Payable



Variation to a licence (i.e. addition of activity, increase in number of animals, change to facilities) including re-rating


Variations to reduce the licensable activities or numbers of animals

Animal Boarding

(Kennels, Catteries & Dog Day Care)










Home Boarding









Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the Council within a reasonable period, please contact us using the information below.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the Licensing Team in the first instance.