Making Representations

Licensing Services


Representations can be made for or against applications for a premises licence or club premises certificate by a responsible authority or any other person. They may also be made as part of an application for a review of a premises licence or club premises certificate.

Representations must be made in the 28 day period starting the day after the application is given to the licensing authority.

Relevant Representations

Only representations that relate to one or more of the four licensing objectives can be considered. The licensing objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

Representations must clearly set out the likely effects the grant or variation of the licence would have on the promotion of at least one of the licensing objectives, and must clearly relate to the premises for which application is being made.

The Act requires the Council to disregard representations that are considered to be repetitious. frivolous or vexatious.

Relevant representations will normally result in a hearing by the Licensing Sub Committee to determine the application. Only persons who have made a relevant representation are entitled to address the Sub Committee.

If making a representation please be aware that the Licensing Act requires local authorities to provide to the applicant copies of all representations/objections made in relation to an application, therefore, the content of any representation you may choose to make, including your name and address, will be disclosed and will appear on this website.  In some exceptional circumstances the law permits the names and addresses of persons making representations to be withheld.  If you believe there are exceptional circumstances which justify your personal details being withheld from the applicant please advise the licensing section of this at the time of making your representation. Anonymous representations will be disregarded.

Representations should be sent to or to the following address:

Licensing Section
Buckinghamshire Council
Council Offices
King George V House
King George V Road