New Premises Licences

Licensing Services

About licence

If your business sells alcohol or provides entertainment or late night food or drink, you need a premises licence. Large one-off events my need a Premises Licence too. You can apply for a new Premises Licence at any time. You should check carefully the time you will need to put your application in as you will need to obtain plans of the premises. Anyone applying for a Premises Licence must conform to the relevant sections of the Council's Licensing Policy (given below.)

How long will it take?

  • The Licensing Act 2003 gives the licensing authority up to two months to process the application. In most cases applications take at least six weeks.
  • Premises Licences become effective on the date requested on your application, or the date granted if this is later.
  • If the licence provides for the sale of alcohol, your Designated Premises Supervisor will need to have a Personal Licence. It can take up to two months or more if a training course is needed beforehand.

Advertising your application

  • You need to advertise your application once in a local newspaper within 10 days
  • And on a poster at the premises for at least 28 days (a copy of which can be downloaded below)
  • These adverts must conform to the rules in the Licensing Act 2003 Regulations 2005.  Please see the guidance information below on notice display.

What do you need to send us?

  • The completed application form
  • Documentation showing the applicant's right to work in the UK (only applicable to individual applicants)
  • A plan of the premises (at 1:100 scale unless previously otherwise agreed in writing)
  • The consent from the person you wish to be Designated Premises Supervisor (if alcohol is to be sold)
  • Payment of the fee (please see the fees list provided in the downloads)  

You need to send a copy of everything on the list above to all of the other Responsible Authorities, except the payment of the fee.